Friday, June 15, 2012

Timothy Bottoms

In the early 1970's, Timothy Bottoms appeared to be on his way to becoming a major star. And like so many other good actors, he seemed to disappear into thin air. Not that he hasn't worked. He's had a steady paycheck since 1971 with his film debut as the quadruple amputee unable to speak or hear in the anti-war drama, Johnny Got His Gun.  

It's just that after his brush with fame in the 1970's, he seems to have ended up headlining movies that no one has ever heard of. This seems to happen to a lot of actors and I suppose that most of us will never know why so many rising stars seem to fade for no reason at all.


Certainly I'm not the only one who admired Timothy Bottoms work in The Last Picture Show  and The Paper Chase,  and with such superb past performances it's hard not to wonder, what happened? Especially when you see him in more recent projects and he's just as good, even if the material isn't.

Check out the movies already listed along with 1975's Operation Daybreak, the television mini-series East of Eden and the short lived Comedy Central sitcom, That's My Bush, where he played President George W. Bush, and you will understand why Timothy Bottoms is my pick of the day for Not Very Famous...but should be.

13 comments:

  1. The Last Picture Show is one of my favorite movies of all-time. It was set before my time, but I grew up in a small Texas town much like "Thalia". (my own folks ran the last movie theater in the town, before I was born)

    I have some kinfolk down near Dallas and pass close by Archer City on the way and have always wanted to have someone take my photo w/ my ball cap turned backwards while sweeping the street near the city limit sign.

    It's one of those rare movies that are as close to, if not better, than the book from which they were taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were many other types of small towns in other parts of the country that were never captured on film but should have been. Too bad the Last Picture Show turned out to be the last hurrah for most of the cast and crew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've no idea specifically relative to Timothy Bottoms but surely some of these up and comer's who seem to have been a 'can't miss' star went through personal issues that, at the time, injured their prospects for greater things?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but be emotional about Mr. Bottoms and his distinctive brilliance. I think he is one of the greatest. Similar to Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy, he chose Johnny Got His Gun as an expansive vehicle to his talent. But why, why, why, did he disappear? Drugs, Garboesque yearnings, Hollywood disillusionment? He will be remembered more as time passes. Even after a film clip with Jeff Bridges in "The Last Pic Show", Jeff could not help but openly admire Tim's talents. His spirit in this movie allowed the heartbeat and soulful expression of the other actors to create dynamics rarely seen on the screen. But don't forget the Paper Chase, his acting was just as good. I pray and plead to the movie gods for Tim to rekindle his career in Hollywood and accept the justified and way overdue Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Timothy Bottoms in East of Eden and he was magnificent. I do not understand why he did not soar. I just saw a movie called The Governors Wife with Marilu Henna, who was terrible, as was every one else BUT, I noticed the sheriff, who was great, but looked familiar. He resembled Timothy Bottoms. Well, it WAS him but much older than his East of Eden days. He is an absolutely wonderful actor. I wish he knew it. I guess Hollywood is too busy chasing after the human-freak-show mannequins, the Kardashians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is a list of Timothy Bottoms movies to check out in addition to the aforementioned classics: A Shining Season, High Country, Love Leads the Way, Crazy World of Julius Vrooder, Rollercoaster, Tin Man, Gift of Love, and Hiding Place. He's a wonderful actor, deserved better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous. I'll have to check those out.

      Delete
  7. timothy bottoms as sonny crawford in the last picture show is my second favorite male character in film of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. timothy bottoms as sonny crawford in the last picture show is my second favorite male character in film of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mr. Hart in the TV series was more likeable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Operation daybreak is in my top 5 movies. Timothys acting is amazing. In my eyes he already is a great actor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a wonderful actor. I especially loved him in East of Eden. Loved his brother Sam Bottoms as well.
    J. Davis, Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  12. He had a pretty good ride. He's not a total zero. Rollercoaster is always great to watch.

    ReplyDelete