Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Dick DeCoit

Dick DeCoit has been a working actor for most of his adult life. I must admit that I'm not familiar with a lot of his work, but the reason he's included in this blog is because of his portrayal of the rapist, Ron Becker, during the early years of The Young and the Restless. I was in high school at the time, this was in the 1970's, and his performance has stayed with me all these years. This makes me often wonder why one actor goes on to get the choice roles and another doesn't.


I still remember a year or so after he left the soap opera. I went and saw the movie, Logan's Run. I about jumped out of my seat when I saw Dick DeCoit on the screen. He was basically an extra as I seem to remember he had no lines and was only in one scene. And yet I spotted him. I have often wondered if he was in more of the movie and was left on the cutting room floor, or if the people involved in the casting just made a huge mistake in not giving him a larger role.

Anyway you look at it, a performance that can stay with a person most of his life says quite a bit about the actor. And it's not just me. When I find a person that has watched The Young and the Restless all of these years, I always ask if they remember the character of Ron Becker, and nine out of ten people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment